No Bake Protein Balls
These are an absolute favorite in my house. They are so delicious that I really have a hard time believing they are healthy because they taste so much like a treat. These are so easy to make, don’t involve using the oven and are full or nutrient dense ingredients. You can change these up a lot by adding in different things, like nuts, coconut, chocolate chips etc. I will say that if you are trying to lose weight or working on a big fitness goal, I would not recommend having these as an everyday snack. Although they are filled with feel good ingredients, due to the peanut butter, honey and chocolate chips these do tend to be a little higher in fat and sugar then some other healthy snacks. When I’m looking at adding “sweetness” into a recipe, I always try and use pure honey, maple syrup or agave. I always try to avoid white sugar. Natural sugars are always better for you, and a tiny drop of pure maple syrup goes a long way! My biggest struggle when making these, is limiting myself to only one. 😉 Enjoy!
- 1 cup old fashion oats
- 2/3 cup toasted shredded coconut (unsweetened)
- 1/2 cup natural creamy peanut butter (be careful with your peanut butter selection. Look for one with no sugar and no salt. You also want a creamy one, if not these won’t stick together very well.)
- 1/2 ground flaxseed (flaxseed is a great source of protein)
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips (omit if you are limiting sugar intake)
- 1/3 cup honey or agave
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Stir all ingredients into a large mixing bowl until thoroughly combined. If it doesn’t look like its sticking together well, you can add in more peanut butter.
- Cover the bowl and chill in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours or until chilled. This helps it stick together.
- Roll into small 1 inch or smaller balls.
- Enjoy immediately! These can be stored in a sealed container for up to one week in the fridge or in the freezer up to 3 months.